I’m very easy-going in regards to how I work – I don’t send out briefs requesting info on certain things. Instead, as my blog focuses on what’s new and newsy, I like to have relevant press releases/new product sent my way. The key word here, however, is RELEVANT. As my blog focuses on beauty as well as all things glam-tastic, I’m not interested in that hot new insecticide or an uber-exciting funeral policy.
I also like ‘new’ people to introduce themselves to me. Often, I’ll get a mail that goes like this:
“Hi Liegh (sic)
CUT AND PASTE PRESS RELEASE HERE
Person I’ve never heard of before
Yet Another PR company”
This always encourages me to press the ‘delete’ key ‘cos all I’ve taken in is a bit of spiel, but have no real idea as to what you want me to do with it. Do you want me to attend the event you’re on about? Do you want me to review the product you’re endorsing? Please be SPECIFIC in your expectations of how you see your snippet fitting in with my blog so as to help me to promote your stuff.
To give you an example, I prefer mails that go more along the lines of this:
I’m So and So from FILL IN PR CO HERE. I deal with accounts x, y, c. I have some news regarding FILL IN FABULOUS THING HERE. It would be nice if you could feature it on your blog. Would you like to experience the product/interview the person I’ve spoken about/come cover the event…?’
You get the idea.
- I think it’s rude when people expect me to write about an event, but don’t invite me to it.
- I’m uncomfortable endorsing anything I haven’t been able to try, test, taste, experience myself. I’m all about credibility.
- My reader’s rely on me for an honest write-up. If you send me something and I don’t like it, I’m not going to feature it. Please don’t assume that just because you sent me your super-fancy product with a side order of Lindt, I OWE you a rave review.
- Really? You’re inviting me to your hot new bar opening sans partner? Gosh. That sounds like fun. Here’s me standing in the corner all alone like Loser Girl while I pretend to tweet stuff…
- Please remember that I write for my readers, not your boss. PR co’s like to send me releases about how thrilled they are that company X’s CEO got nominated for a We’re So Freakin’ Green/Hey, We Just Sold Our Ten Millionth Hand Cream award. I can understand that that’s exciting news for the company, but my readers seriously don’t care. They’d be more excited if in honour of the award, they decided to have a big fat sale.
- Don’t invite me to a party so I can cover it’s fabulosity and then give me an invite that doesn’t put me in the VIP room. This makes me sound like a total douche bag, but honestly, how am I supposed to snap a pic of schleb A, B and C and nab quotes if I don’t have access to them?
- Please READ my blog and get an idea as to what I look like. It’ll stop you from sending me red hair dye a la Ronald McDonald, an XL T-shirt, foundation in a shade called Hot Cocoa or anything else that clearly wouldn’t work for me.
And that’s pretty much it. Like I said, I’m an easy going chica.
31 thoughts on “Are you a PR peep? Read this!”
Leiiiiiigghhhhhhhhhh! This is BRILLIANT! It’s like you’re inside my head! Next time I get a terrible press release I’m going to send them the link to this page. Hope that’s okay. Sasha. Xo
Absolutely love this! A brilliant “How to guide” to all PR people. xxx
Iv just started with PR company and sometimes i just wana ask them…. LIKE seriously not everyone is like you!!!
Hi Sharfa. I’m not sure I understand your comment. What are you trying to say?
OMG, you are me hero. Tell it like it is, we expect nothing less 🙂
One word – magnificent!!!
Nicely done, ladee! Cyber high 5 (in Borat voice, naturally)! I second all of that! xx
Dankie skattie! And lets add a ‘low five’ to that, just to be Extra Awesome. ;-P X x x
Brilliant, promise I won’t send you any press releases on funeral policies 🙂
Heheheheheh. For that I am most grateful. 😉
Well put! 😉
Leigh, you are glamtastic! I love this!!,!
Good one, and I’m a PR peep (eeeek!).
On a similar vein, you may enjoy this, if you haven;t seen it already…
Ha ha! Love it! Perhaps I should get a random pic too… Michael Knoetze (my boyfriend) sleeping on the couch… My semi-forgotten kitchen cactus; slowly dying as I type… Thanks babe – and don’t worry, this aimed at the KAK PR Peeps – and that’s not you. X x x
Love love love love!!!! Yes yes!!!
THIS was so fun to read. loved this part “Don’t invite me to a party so I can cover it’s fabulosity and then give me an invite that doesn’t put me in the VIP room.”
Excellent advice Miss Leigh. I too get a ton of press releases in my inbox announcing fab events (without an invite! huh?). Thanks for educating the masses of clueless pr folks in SA (to the good ones – you know who you are) and thank the Pope they are starting to try figure us bloggers out!
Stiletto Brigade xxx
I couldn’t have said it any better. I just hope that people who have read this actually took notes. Thank you Leigh.
Andiswa Dlokolo – PR peep:-)
Just love this site
Love it Leightjie – hope I look after you!! I could not say it better myself but then I am not a PT poppie, hey??xx
Oh my word this is hilarious – and so, so true! The cut & paste thing grinds me every time. So irritating having to politely respond and not be a total cow about it. Do these people even begin to comprehend the sheer volume of our inboxes? As for the misspelt name – I hear you, but it gets even worse. Most of the time they don’t even bother to find out my name, I just get “Dear The Daily Shoe”. And the *attitude* sometimes when we can’t respond right away! yoh! I am relieved I’m not the only one…. 😀
Love it, Leigh! You so put it to the point!!!
Sigh. Wish I could copy that entire post for my blog. Sums up everything so clearly!
I love what I am seeing here!! Love love!! You remind me of Fergie from the Black eyed Peas! I bet you have heard this countless times.Brilliant Blog! No wonder voted Top 10 Fashion Blog in SA! Well done! Very refreshing XXX
Hi Botshelo! I haven’t heard the Fergie thing before, but thanks for that – she’s a hottie! Also v glad you’re enjoying the blog x x x
aaah i just love you more and more with each day that passes. absolutely love your fire, you tell them!! haha
Ha ha! Thank you. I wrote that years ago but it still holds true 😂😘
Not even sure how I ended up here but loved your “how to guide” for PR companies. It’s genius, ballsy, but genius! I’ve resorted to just pressing delete, but it doesn’t really solve the problem I guess! I might just copy and paste that as a response in the future! Okay. Stay fancy!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. I tend to hit delete most of the time too these days but, since creating this post, I have to do it a lot less often ;-p
I have been wanting to do this for ages, you’re a star!